Skip to main content

Creating a Storyboard

There are many ways a writer can put together their story. I know for me, it begins with an idea. A What if? idea that processes through my brain. If a story forms, I take to a notebook and jot down the ideas. I write characters (names & descriptions), setting, and basic idea or summary of the story. After that, I begin to visualize scenes. That's when I know that this is becoming something more than an idea. I'm a visual writer, so that's when I move to the storyboard.
What is a storyboard? I'll explain.
When I think of a storyboard, I think of movies. Before shooting a film, storyboards are created to give guidelines for each scene. It helps the director get the right shots and stay on track. Same applies with writing. This formula will build your story and poke at any holes or character flaws. It's like visual outlining.
So let's begin:
First, I get a board. I like using a white board I can write notes on it, but you can use any kind of board - chalk, cork, even cardboard. Just make sure it's big enough.
Second, determine your outline style. Ideas are The Hero's Journey, Save the Cat (Blake Snyder), or just your own style of outlining - but make sure you don't leave any important plot points out. I use the Save the Cat formula, so I'll be showing that as an example.
Using note cards (I prefer approx. 4x6 size), I write a title for each card. As follows:
OPENING IMAGE
THEME STATED
SETUP
CATALYST
DEBATE
ACT II
B STORY
FUN & GAMES
MIDPOINT
BAD GUYS CLOSE IN
ALL IS LOST
DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL
ACT III
FINALE
FINAL IMAGE
After each card is titled, I use the space to write out the basic section- what characters are involved and what happens during this frame. For instance, OPENING IMAGE would be a summary of how I want my story to begin. Don't forget to include a good hook! Once those cards are written, I tape them to the board, in order. That way I can see it all in order.
Now the fun part!
Making sure there is room on both sides (or top and bottom), I print out photos to attach as another step to visualizing the story I'm creating. Search engines are full of images you can use (watch out for copyright infringements). Find images of your setting, your characters, and any other details that are important. My storyboard has a picture of a 1967 Jeep CJ5, to make sure I describe it perfectly. There's a cabin, and then pictures of how I see my characters. That way the story will all be consistent.
The last step is to place the board where you can review it often. I make sure that my board is easily moveable. I write on a laptop and sometimes write outside or in a different room. I travel with my storyboard too. It's a great reference tool!
Writing is the fun part. Don't forget that! My favorite part is when I'm "in the zone," with my fingers furiously clicking away at the keys. Moments all writers treasure!


Happy writing!
Sarah Hyatt,
Moms Always Write

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment